Faculty Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the purpose of the Medical Student Summer Research Fellowship Program?
- To provide research opportunities for medical students in BCOM faculty driven research and creative scholarship.
How many projects may I submit?
- There is no limit to the number of proposals that a faculty member may submit. Although, multiple projects may be submitted, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs aims for equitable distribution of available program funds among the faculty who submit projects.
- Unfunded projects will still be available to students, but the faculty will need to seek alternative sources of support.
How many students per project?
- We are recommending that projects involve up to two students per project.
- It is important that the exact role of each student in the project be defined if more than one student is involved.
How much are the project awarded?
- Projects will be awarded up to $2,000 per student for a maximum of $4,000 per project that includes 2 students.
What are acceptable projects?
- All project applications will be considered.
- Priority will be given to those that are best aligned with providing research opportunities and mentoring of medical students, and those that help to expand BCOM research infrastructure.
Are projects restricted to BCOM?
- Although, projects can be performed at other institutions, it must be necessary for completion of the project, and these projects must be overseen by a BCOM faculty member.
- If the bulk of the project will be executed at an external institution, justification must be provided as to how the project benefits BCOM, and/or expands BCOM research infrastructure.
What are allowable charges?
- Research-related costs that support and advance the research project, which may include consumables/expendables and various supplies as they directly relate to the project, and general purpose items such as small equipment (including software). Reasonable travel costs are allowable (see below).
- Travel is allowable as a direct cost where such travel is required for the completion of the project. In such instances travel costs must be well justified.
- Travel costs are limited to that allowed by the BCOM travel policy/guidelines.
- Travel requires prior approval. Requests must be submitted with proper justification.
Can funds be used for travel to a conference?
- No, because the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs has Student Travel Funds, and faculty have professional development funds available for travel. The intent of the summer research program funding is not to duplicate existing funding.