Thank you for your interest in our first annual Gingerbread Challenge! Signing up for the competition is free and easy. Here are the rules:
- Teams may be made up of 1 to 4 individuals.
- Advanced registration required. Use the sign-up sheet below to register.
- Teams will have time to build and decorate from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 5 at the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (located at 3501 Arrowhead Dr., Las Cruces, NM).
- Arrive promptly. Extra time will NOT be allotted if you’re late.
- We will supply ONE Create-A-Treat Pre-Built Gingerbread House kit to each team.
- Teams may bring additional supplies to build and decorate their masterpiece.
- In the spirit of the holiday season, bystanders will be allowed to observe you build.
- Judging will begin at 7 p.m. sharp. Your masterpiece will be judged for overall appearance, originality/creativity, difficulty and precision.
- First, second and third place winners will be announced immediately after the holiday lightshow at 7:30 p.m.
Sign up for our Gingerbread Challenge below. Deadline to register: Monday, Dec. 2 or until competition is full.
Have a question about the challenge? Please read these FAQs.
- Can items be pre-assembled at home? All items must be assembled onsite.
- What items are not allowed to be used for structure? All glues can be used; the gingerbread house will not be eaten.
- Will there be electrical outlets available? The room that is used will have electrical outlets available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- What are the dimension requirements? There are no requirements on height/width/length. You must incorporate the kit provided but can add/modify as you wish.
- Aside from what is provided in the kit, what else are we allowed to use? You may use anything else you would like to enhance your house, as long as the original kit provided is used.
- Is there a specific theme for the gingerbread house? There is no theme this year.
- What are we NOT allowed to do? You may not bring anything preassembled; it all must be put together onsite in the allotted time.
- Are non-edible items allowed to be used for the gingerbread house? Yes.
- When are participants allowed to come in and set up? Doors will open to everyone at 5:00 p.m. with a start time of 5:30 p.m.
- Are there any entry fees? There are no fees. This event is free and open to the public. We will provide ONE complimentary gingerbread house kit to all teams that sign up for the challenge.
- Is there a monetary budget for creating this item? No.
- Who are the judges? The judges come from different walks of life. Some have art backgrounds, some are home bakers and others are creatives.
- Will we have to move our gingerbread homes to present them to the judges? No, the judges will come around to each team table. The house will be judged where it was created.
- Can we take our gingerbread houses home? Yes, the houses are yours to take at the end of the night.