Request For Preceptor CME Credit or Precepting Letter
THANK YOU FOR MENTORING AND SERVING AS A PRECEPTOR TO BURRELL COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE STUDENTS
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine was recently accredited by the AOA as a CME sponsor. As an AOA CME sponsor, time spent precepting for Burrell College medical students can be reported to the AOA on your behalf and is eligible for AOA Category 1-B credit. https://osteopathic.org/cme/cme-guide/
- DOs: The current AOA reporting cycle is from January 2019 to December 2021. Hours submitted prior to January 2019 will not be accepted by AOA.
- Burrell College became AOA CME accredited March 2020. Our first reporting cycle will be July 2020-December 2020.
- The submitted hours are reported to the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) on the physician’s behalf once per semester.
- For faculty who submit the request form (below ), we will submit hours approximately January 15 for precepting dates July-December and approximately July 15 for precepting dates January-June.
Reporting Period Reporting to AOA July-December Approximately January 15 January-June Approximately July 15
- A maximum of 60 AOA Category 1-B credits for precepting may be applied to the 120-hour, 3-year requirement.
* Once reported to the AOA, it may take up to six weeks for the hours to appear on your transcript.
- MDs: Preceptorship participation is an activity that can be claimed for AMA PRA Category 2 Credit™. This activity is self-reported and self-documented by the physician. The physician documents the activity title or description, subject or content area, date(s) of participation and number of credits claimed. https://www.ama-assn.org/media/10641/download (pg. 7, #19)
Request for Credits or Precepting Letter Guidelines:
For hours earned since our accreditation with AOA CME, July 2020, requests for AOA credits or letters documenting preceptorship will be processed by the Office of Faculty Affairs.
- AOA Credit Request – DOs Only
- If you would like for Faculty Affairs to submit AOA credits on your behalf, please complete the form below.
- You will only need to complete this form one time to ensure we have all the appropriate information. Every semester precepted going forward, the Office of Faculty Affairs will submit to AOA on your behalf.
- You will receive a copy of the completed request and you will receive notification from Faculty Affairs when the credits have been submitted to AOA.
- Precepting Letters – MDs:
- Upon receiving the request form (below), Faculty Affairs will generate precepting letters once per semester and send to the preceptor and their point of contact via email.
- If you require the letter to be faxed or mailed (rather than emailed), please submit a request below and enter the fax number or address in the last comment box titled ‘Other request or information’.
- If you require a letter prior to the end of a semester, please submit a request below and enter the date ranges for the precepting hours completed in the last comment box titled ‘Other request or information’.
*A copy of this request form will go to the physician email address above when submitted.
Contact Faculty Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org