Ph.D., Science Education, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Indiana University, Bloomington. 2010
Dissertation title: The Effects of an Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Human Biology Program on Socioscientific Reasoning, Content Learning, and Understanding of Inquiry
Teaching Concentration: Anatomy and Cell Biology
Master of Sciences, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Medical Sciences Program, Indiana University, Bloomington. 2005
Thesis title: Proteomic Based Identification of Epidermal Markers for the Nipple
Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Truman State University, Kirksville, Missouri. 2001
- Epistemic cognition in medical education
- Interdisciplinary contexts for science learning, socioscientific issues
- Collaborative learning in medical education
- Novel approaches for teaching histology
Professional Accomplishments & Memberships
Honors & Awards
- Stephens College STAR Award for Programmatic Assessment
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Rigorous Reviews of Research on Humanistic Healthcare Grant. Title: Epistemological Beliefs and Medical Humanism Education: A Systematic Review
- Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Oakland University Faculty Learning Community Grant. Title: Connecting Learning Theory to Teaching Practice and Scholarship
American Association of Anatomists (AAA)
International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE)
- Kleinberg, K., Eastwood, J., & Rodenbaugh, D. (2018). Efficacy of Collaborative Testing for Long-Term Retention of Medical Knowledge. The FASEB Journal 2018 32:1.
- Pinder, K., Eastwood, J. (2018). A Tale of Two Approaches: Results from Integrating Medical Histology and Pathology. The FASEB Journal 2018 32:1.
- Eastwood, J.L., Koppelman-White, E., Mi, M., Wasserman, J.A., Krug, E.K., & Joyce, B. (2017). Epistemic cognition in medical education: A literature review. International Journal of Medical Education, 8:1-12.
- de Leeuw, J., Motz, B., Eastwood, J., Maltese, A., Goldstone, R., & Danish, J. (June, 2015). Needle in the Neural Haystack: Electroencephalograph Signatures of Concept Learning While Viewing Naturalistic Educational Materials. Proceedings of the 2015 American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Eastwood, J. L., Sadler, T.D., Sherwood, R.D., & Schlegel, W.M. (2013). Students’ participation in an interdisciplinary, socioscientific issues-based undergraduate human biology major and their understanding of scientific inquiry. Research in Science Education, 43, 1051-1078.
- Eastwood, J.L. & Sadler, T.D. (2013). Teachers’ implementation of a game-based biotechnology curriculum. Computers and Education, 66, 11-24.
- Eastwood, J., Sadler, T., Zeidler, D., Applebaum, S., & Amiri, L. (2012). Contextualizing nature of science in socioscientific issues, International Journal of Science Education, 34, 2289-2315.
- Eastwood, J.L., Schlegel, W.M., & Cook, K.L. (2011). Effects of an Interdisciplinary Program on Students’ Reasoning with Socioscientific Issues and Perceptions of their College Experience. In T.D. Sadler (Ed.) Socio-scientific issues in science classrooms: Teaching, learning and research. New York: Springer.
- Akerson, V., Buzelli, C., & Eastwood, J. (2011). The relationship between preservice early childhood teachers’ cultural values and their perceptions of scientists’ cultural values. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 21, 211-214.
- Eastwood, J., Offutt, C., Menon, K., Keel, M., Hrncirova, P., Novotny, M.V., Arnold, R., & Foley, J. (2007). Identification of markers for nipple epidermis: changes in expression during pregnancy and lactation. Differentiation. 75, 75-83.