Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine Class of 2023 Honor Code
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine’s motto “para la gente y el futuro” embodies the foundation and vision of the medical college as it strives to meet the needs of the community.
We strive to uphold the following core values as we aim to become the best doctors we can be. The statements outlined in this Honor Code are meant to articulate the high standards of the medical profession and the school. As a diverse student body, we collectively place emphasis on fostering a practice of lifelong learning, compassion, respect, and excellence within our cohort.
I accept the responsibility for my conduct and expect the highest standards of myself, and I will help my fellow classmates in upholding these values. As a member of the class of 2023 at Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine, I knowingly agree to the following terms:
In the interest of respect for others I will:
- Refrain from recording any faculty, staff member, or peers without their consent:
- Including but not limited to didactic material, labs, clinical sessions, OMM, guest presentations, and study groups.
- Exercise caution and refrain from malicious intent in my recording of videos and audio, and while taking pictures.
- Refrain from defaming administration, faculty, staff, peers, and members of the community.
- Refrain from engaging in discrimination of others based on gender, sexual identity, age, race/ethnicity, religion, disability, political beliefs, socioeconomic status, national origin, etc.
- I will abide by Title IX Guidelines on discrimination and sexual misconduct at all times.
- Be courteous of student study spaces and quiet areas, and respect the terms and conditions outlined in Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine’s room reservation guidelines.
- Express my views and opinions in a respectful manner, being mindful of content shared in a public forum and social media platforms.
- Understand that cultural, religious, political, and other differences exist and may result in disagreements and mutual agreement may not be possible.
In the interest of honesty and integrity I will:
- Concerning Academic Honesty
- Remain truthful in all academic and clinical activities including but not limited to: examinations, evaluations, patient interactions, research, and any other representations of my work.
- Not participate in any activity that constitutes cheating or obtaining an unmerited advantage including:
- Engaging in sabotage.
- Seeking or offering unauthorized assistance.
- Fabricating or forging documents, signatures, etc.
- Infringing on copyright laws or engage in plagiarism, including self-plagiarism.
- Lying, cheating, or stealing.
- Concerning Confidentiality
- Protect the confidentiality of educational materials presented to me, including but not limited to lecture content and examination questions.
In the interest of ownership of responsibility, I will:
- Refrain from the use of alcohol or illicit drugs including the misuse of prescription medications, in order to maintain competent and professional behavior, while performing in any academic or clinical setting.
- Refer to the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine drug use policy.
- Represent Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine and its affiliates in a positive manner at all times, knowing that my actions are a representation of Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine and the medical community.
- Abide by all state and federal laws as well as Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine policies and the policies of any facility or hubs visited.
In the interest of commitment to professionalism /AOA Code of Ethics/ Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine code I will:
- Hold moral and professional behavior in the highest regard as outlined in the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine Code of Academic and Professional Ethics and the AOA Code of Ethics.
- Respect patient’s confidentiality, rights, and dignity.
- Understand that I am a student with limited experience, knowledge and skill, and will ask for assistance whenever necessary and not represent myself other than such.
- Adhere to HIPAA guidelines (Refer to HIPAA Guidelines )
- (In addition to the above sections, as a student of Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine, I will abide by all policies stated in the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine Student Handbook and Course Catalog)
Class of 2023
Student Honor Code Acknowledgment
I have reviewed the Class of 2023 Student Honor Code (“Code”). I understand that I am responsible for adhering to the expectations specified in the Code.
With my signature below, I confirm that I have read and understand all the information contained in the Code and that I agree to abide by all guidelines listed therein. I further confirm with my signature that I understand the consequences and action(s) that may be taken as a result of violating the Code.