The BCOM – BEAR Pathway is a direct application program designed to encourage students from the Southwestern U.S. (defined as New Mexico; El Paso, Texas; and Southern Arizona); and all American Indian and Alaskan Native Tribal Nations to apply directly to BCOM for admission and by-pass the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS) application process. The BEAR Pathway is reserved for those exclusively applying to Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine during an admissions cycle. Applicants cannot have open or pending applications at other medical institutions while using the BEAR Pathway.
To qualify for the BEAR Pathway an applicant must meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a resident of New Mexico; El Paso, Texas; Southern Arizona; or a Federally Recognized Tribal Nation Reservation/Jurisdictional Area
- An applicant who was born in NM and graduated from a NM high school, but is attending an out-of-state college or university is eligible for the BEAR Pathway.
- Currently attending or a recent graduate of a New Mexico college or university; as well as any tribal college or university
- An applicant is eligible for the BEAR Pathway even though s/he is not a resident of one of the designated areas, but is attending a college or university in New Mexico. For example, a student who is a resident of Vermont and is attending New Mexico State University is eligible for the BEAR Pathway.
BEAR Pathway Benefits:
- There is no application fee
- Applicants apply directly to BCOM
- Applicants will receive an interview decision from the Office of Admissions after providing the following information:
- BEAR Pathway application
- Official transcripts
- Official MCAT score(s)
- Letters of recommendation – 2 core science professors, 1 physician (MD or DO)
- Resume or CV
- Supplementation Application
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in applying exclusively to BCOM through the BEAR Pathway, you may begin to fill out your BEAR application beginning June 1, 2018. We will review new applications for the August 2019 cycle from June 16, 2018 – March 29, 2019.
Once the cycle opens, a link to the BEAR application will be provided on this page. Please mark your calendars.
If you have specific questions concerning these admission requirements and recommendations, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions by phone at (575) 674-2210 or by e-mail at email@example.com.