Five physicians have received the Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine’s inaugural Preceptor of the Year award. The awards were developed by BCOM clerkship directors to acknowledge preceptors’ hard work and contribution to medical student education.
“I am so pleased with the launch of the first annual Preceptor of the Year awards,” says Adela Lente, MD, associate dean of clinical education. “These awards were conceived to recognize exceptional physician preceptors who inspire BCOM medical students to properly serve and care for patients.”
Awardees were selected by third-year medical students, who were asked to nominate their most influential preceptors. After receiving nominations, the Department of Clinical Education identified preceptors with the most votes from each of BCOM’s five hubs. This year’s Preceptors of the Year are:
- Kamran Kamali, MD, General Surgery (Las Cruces, NM)
- Dorovenia Hawkins-Koch, DO, Obstetrics and Gynecology (El Paso, TX)
- Donald Wenner, Jr., MD, General Surgery / Urology (Eastern New Mexico)
- Howard Comstock, MD, General Surgery (Tucson, AZ)
- Erica McBride, DO, General Surgery (Albuquerque, NM)
Each preceptor will receive a framed awards certificate and a gift card.
The clerkship directors would like to take this opportunity to offer appreciation to all of BCOM preceptors for their commitment to the advancement of the students’ clinical education. Dr. Lente says, “We could not accomplish this without the dedication of our preceptors.”